Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lessons Learned Late

Well, we're leaving Madrid in one week. I'm psyched about coming home, but it's hard to believe that it's already time to leave. I'm going to miss a lot of things: the city, people, my Spanish classes, Europe, the late eating schedule, and probably more that hasn't even hit me yet.

Yesterday we were looking for a place to fax our housing acceptance form for next year and we turned down a street in our neighborhood that had looked like it was just a bunch more apartments. Much to our surprise, we found a locutorio (internet and cheap international call center), another grocery store, two cheap general stores, and two beautiful fruit stands. Aarrghh. We've been buying everything from Carrefour (a French version of Wal-Mart) all semester because we thought that's all we have. Now we know we could have gotten everything from pots and pans to cleaning supplies and fresh fruits and vegetables of better quality at better prices. Not to mention supporting local economy instead of evil, exploitative French billionaires. Sigh.

We're all done with our Spanish class now. I wish I could take it every semester, it was great. I learned lots of Spanish, I just need to keep practicing now. Now it's time to frantically try to do everything we've put off and say goodbye to our favorite places and people as we pack and clean the apartment.

On the upside, Spain has been wonderful. I can't wait to see everyone at home. Love to you all.

No comments: